Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you get your GST registration online via the GST portal.
What is the Goods and Services Tax (GST)?
The GST is an indirect, multistage, destination-based consumption tax on value addition that came into effect on July 1, 2017.
It is a “multistage” tax because it is charged at every level of the supply chain – raw material procurement, manufacturing, distribution, and final consumption. And being a destination-based tax, it is collected in the state where the final product is consumed.
Who needs to register with GST?
It is mandatory for the following entities to have a GST registration:
- E-commerce aggregators
- Individual suppliers on e-commerce aggregators
- Individuals who pay tax as per the reverse charge mechanism
- Agents of input service distributors and suppliers
- Non-Resident individuals who pay tax in India
- Businesses that have an annual turnover more than the threshold limit
- Individuals who registered before the GST law was introduced
What is the minimum turnover threshold to get a GST registration?
The most recent GST threshold limits came into effect on April 1, 2019. The threshold for GST registration is based on your Annual Aggregate Turnover.
|Annual Aggregate Turnover||Category||Purpose|
|More than Rs. 40L||Normal state||Sale of goods|
|More than Rs. 20L||Special state*||Sale of goods|
|More than Rs. 20L||Normal state||Providing services|
|More than Rs. 10L||Special state*||Providing services|
*The Special State Category refers to states in the North-East of India and hilly states.
What documents will I need to complete my GST registration online?
Taxpayers need to apply for a GST registration on the GST portal online. You will need to submit documents about your business and its financial history to register.
Once your GST application is approved, you are allotted a 15-digit GSTIN. The Goods and Services Tax Identification Number (GSTIN) replaced the Tax Identification Number (TIN) in 2017. Businesses use this 15-digit GST number to claim credit returns and to collect/pay taxes.
The documents needed to complete your GST registration depend on your business constitution:
|Individuals and Sole Proprietorships||LLP and Partnership Firms||Private Limited Corporations|
|Individual PAN card||Copy of Partnership Deed||Incorporation certificate issued by the Ministry of Corporate Affairs|
|Individual Aadhaar card||Proof of registration of LLP||Memorandum of Association|
|Address Proof (electricity bill, rent agreement, ownership documents etc. are accepted)||Address proof of business||Address proof of the business|
|Details of bank account (cancelled cheque/passbook extract/bank statements)||PAN card of partners||Details of bank account|
|N/A||Address proof of partners||PAN card of the company|
|N/A||Photograph of partners||PAN card of directors|
|N/A||Proof of appointment of an authorized signatory||Address proof of directors|
|N/A||Aadhaar card of the signatory||Appointment proof of authorized signatory|
|N/A||Bank account details||PAN card of the signatory|
|N/A||Digital Signature Certificate (DSC)||Aadhaar card of the signatory|
How do I apply for a GST registration online?
GST registration can be done online on the GST Portal. To complete the registration process, you must fill in your business information and submit the relevant documents.
To start your registration process, complete the steps below:
Step 1: Go to the GST Portal.
Step 2: Go to the “Services” option in the main menu and select the “New Registration” option.
Step 3: Select the “New Registration” option at the top of the form.
Step 4: Complete the form by filling in the following details:
- From the “I am a” drop-down menu, select the appropriate option.
- Select your state and district.
- Enter the legal name of the business* as mentioned on your PAN.
- Enter your business PAN*.
- Enter your email ID and mobile number in the respective boxes. (Please ensure both contact details entered are active and easily accessible as the GST system will send you separate OTPs on them.)
- Enter the CAPTCHA image details
- Now click on “Proceed”.
*In case of a Proprietorship, your name and personal PAN information should be entered.
CreditEnable Tip: In case you already have a GST registration linked to your PAN, a pop-up screen will appear displaying the exiting linked GST information. If you wish to get another GST registration for a different business or another branch of the same business, click on “Proceed”.
Step 5: On the next page, fill in the OTPs sent to your email ID and mobile number in the respective boxes and click on “Proceed”.
Step 6: You will be shown the Temporary Reference Number (TRN) on the next screen. Remember to make a note of it.
Once you have got your TRN, go back to the GST Portal once again and follow the steps mentioned below. You have 15 days from the date of TRN generation to complete Part B of the GST registration process.
Step 7: Under the “Services” option, select the “New Registration” option.
Step 8: Select the “Temporary Reference Number (TRN)” option at the top of the form.
Step 9: Enter your TRN and the CAPTCHA image details.
Step 10: Click on “Proceed”.
Step 11: An OTP will be sent to your email ID and registered number. Enter the OTP on the next page and click on “Proceed”.
Step 12: The status of your application will be displayed on the next screen. On the right side of the screen, there will be an “Edit” icon in the Action column. Click on it.
Step 13: The next page will be made up of 10 sections. You are required to enter all the relevant details and attach all the relevant documents
- Pay attention to the accepted document format and size specifications mentioned for each document that needs to be uploaded to your application.
- As you start entering the relevant details, the bar at the top of the screen will tell you how much of the registration process you have completed.
- Since you are asked to “Save and Continue” your application every time you move further along in your application, all the information you have added so far has been saved to your GST profile. You can log out and log back in at any point in the application to continue your application where you left it while your TRN is still valid.
Step 14: Go to the “Verification” page and select the declaration, then submit your application using one of the following methods:
- Electronic Verification Code (EVC) – The code will be sent to the registered mobile number.
- e-Sign – An OTP will be sent to the mobile number linked to the Aadhaar card.
- In case of a Company or an LLP, the application must be submitted using the Digital Signature Certificate (DSC) validation method.
Step 15: Once complete, a success message will be shown on the screen along with your Application Reference Number (ARN) which is also sent to your registered mobile number and email ID.
Step 16: You can check the status of the ARN on the GST portal at any time.
Once your GST registration is approved, you will receive your GSTIN which you can then use to log in to the GST portal and for all your tax-related documentation.
Do I need a GST registration to get an SME loan?
If your business is mandated to be registered under GST law, you will need to submit a copy of your GST certificate and your recent GST returns to the lender when you apply for an SME loan.
The lenders use these documents in their credit assessment of your business and help them make their lending decision.
Having all your GST and other business registration paperwork in order indicates to the lender that you run your business responsibly. According to the lenders, this makes you a more trustworthy business and improves your chances of successfully getting an SME loan.
When you apply for an SME loan with CreditEnable as a GST registered business, we tell you upfront what documentation our lender partners will need to swiftly process and approve your business loan request.
Once we have your complete application package (including all the necessary documents), our award-winning lender matching algorithms find you the right SME loan product with a lender partner who is most likely to approve your loan. We send them your SME loan application, then they assess your credit history, business, and finances and approve your loan request! It’s that easy!
Business Loans. Enabled Simply.