Udyog Aadhaar is an initiative by the Government of India to provide a unique identification to businesses operating at the micro, small, or medium level. The Udyog Aadhaar scheme is now called Udyam, and all MSMEs must have an Udyam Registration Certificate.
You can get an Udyam Registration Certificate and number for your business by registering yourself as a New MSME. The enterprises that already have a Udyog Aadhar are also required to register under the Udyam programme. To obtain Udyam Registration, visit the official Udyam portal.
Who is eligible to apply for an Udyam Registration Certificate?
There are two options on the Udyam Portal to get an Udyam Registration Certificate. They are:
- New enterprises that have not yet registered as an MSME.
- Enterprises that already have a UAM or EM-II registration and applied themselves or through Assisted Filing.
Here are a few things you should know about Udyam before you register.
- Your Udyam registration number is a 19-digit permanent registration number. This registration number does not expire; therefore, you don’t need to renew it.
- It is a free registration certificate for your business and requires no payment at any stage of the process.
- The Udyam registration process is 100% online, paperless, and based on self-declared information. After you register, your Udyam Registration Certificate will also be issued online. This certificate has a QR Code using which you can access your business information.
- To register as an MSME, you will only need your Aadhaar number.
- If you are a Proprietorship Firm, the Aadhaar of the Proprietor must be used.
- If your business is a Partnership Firm, the Aadhaar of the Managing Partner should be given.
- As a Hindu Undivided Family (HUF), the Aadhaar of the Karta can be used.
- Your PAN and GST details about investments and enterprise turnover will be automatically synced from other government databases.
- All enterprises having a UAM or EM-II registration or any other registration issued under the Ministry of MSME must register themselves again with the Udyam programme.
- An enterprise can have only one Udyam registration. However, you can add many manufacturing activities and services to a single enterprise registration.
How are enterprises classified as MSMEs under the Udyam Registration programme?
- Micro enterprise: Enterprises where the investment in plant, equipment, and machinery does not exceed Rs. 1 Cr and the turnover does not exceed Rs. 5 Cr.
- Small enterprise: Enterprises where the investment in plant, equipment, and machinery does not exceed Rs 10 Cr and the turnover does not exceed Rs. 50 Cr.
- Medium enterprise: Enterprises where the investment in plant, equipment, and machinery does not exceed Rs. 50 Cr and the turnover does not exceed Rs. 250 Cr.
Can I use my Udyam Registration Certificate to get an MSME business loan?
Yes, your Udyam Registration Certificate is acceptable proof of your business vintage!
When you apply for a business loan, you must give the lender a few documents with your business loan application. The information in these documents helps the lender verify information on your application and develop an all-rounded understanding of your business and financials. The age of your business, also known as your business vintage, makes you eligible for better loan products and loan terms. So, your Udyam registration, along with the front page of your Current Account passbook, can be used to prove your business vintage.
When you apply for a business loan using CreditEnable’s technology platform, most of our lender partners generally prefer to lend to businesses that have been operational and registered for at least 2 years or more. There are, however, a few lenders who do lend to younger businesses with a vintage of 12 months or more.
Use our platform to check your eligibility for a business loan before, so we can help you apply with the right lender so you can get your loan disbursed quickly.
How do I register on the Udyam Portal as a new MSME?
To register on the Udyam Portal as a new MSME, follow the steps below:
Step 1: Click on the “For New Entrepreneurs who are not Registered yet as MSME” button.
Step 2: You will be redirected to a new page. Enter the Aadhaar number of the proprietor, managing director, or Karta, and then fill in the name of the entrepreneur.
Step 3: An OTP will be sent to the phone number registered on your Aadhaar. Validate your Aadhaar using the OTP.
Step 4: You are now redirected to the application. Fill in the required information, enter the OTP and verification code to validate your application once again, and click on “Final Submit”.
Once the form is submitted, a successful registration message of the MSME with a reference number will appear on your screen. Following verification of your registration, your Udyam Registration Certificate will be issued within 3-4 days.
While you only need an Aadhaar to start the application, you will be required to provide your PAN details for verification of your personal information and enterprise and bank details.
How to register on the Udyam Portal as an existing MSME?
All MSMEs registered under Udyog Aadhaar were required to register on the Udyam Registration portal before 30 June 2020. This is because your Udyog Aadhaar was valid only till 31 March 2021. All enterprises registered with any other organisation under the Ministry of MSME are also required to register under the Udyam Registration.
Step 1: Visit the Udyam registration portal.
Step 2: Click the “For those having registration as EM-II or UAM” or “For those having registration as EM-II or UAM through Assisted filing” options on the homepage.
Step 3: Enter your Udyog Aadhaar number, and an OTP will be sent to your registered number or email ID.
Step 4: Validate your login using the OTP.
Step 5: Enter the requisite details, submit the form, and your Udyam Registration Certificate will be generated in 3-4 days.
How do I print my Udyam Registration Certificate to give to my business loan lender?
Here is how to print your Udyam Certificate from the portal:
Step 1: Visit Udyam Portal and click on the ‘Print/Verify’ option from the top menu.
Step 2: Select the first option, ‘Print Udyam Certificate’, from the drop-down menu.
Step 3: Enter your 19-digit Udyam Registration number and mobile number mentioned in the application.
Step 4: Once validated, you will be redirected to the ‘Print’ option.
Step 5: Click on “Print”, and your computer will show you your Print options. Set your print parameters and click on Print. Your Udyam Registration Certificate will now start printing!
Store this hard copy in a safe place and remember to have it ready when you apply for an MSME business loan with a formal lender.
Business Loans. Enabled Simply.